Tuesday, April 3, 2007

More media

I was back on Higgins Mountain this afternoon, this time in company with news anchor/reporter Jim Nunn and cameraman Mike (never got his last name) from CBC TV, Halifax. The report should be on tomorrow evening.

The first turbine was not working again today. I assume the van parked there was that of maintenance personnel. We drove to the third turbine over a desperately rutted road. They got some great shots of the shadow effect from the turning rotors.

I hope all the horrible and weird noises were picked up by their equipment. The turbine roar changed pitch with any little change in wind speed or direction. Every now and again there was this horrible clanking and grinding noise. Every full rotation of the rotors made another clunk noise. There was also a constant high pitched whine. It could easily be heard 1km away. Now imagine compounding that by 17 or 27 turbines. All within a few hundred metres from each other.

Nothing in today's Amherst Daily news yet.

The live interview on CJCH went well. It was all positive. The theme was the same as it was with CBC: wind power is fine but not so close to homes as x3 height. (When they found their computer wasn't connecting, my poor parents in England had to listen to it over the phone, listening into friends' radio in Dartmouth. Thanks go to Don and Marj!).

Atlantic Wind Power Corporation will be having an "Open House" on April 11th 6-9pm at the Roman Catholic church hall in Pugwash. I spoke with Clare Peers and he says he will drop off a mailing to the post offices tomorrow. Check your mail box on Thursday. Those of you who live elsewhere this time of year .... well, I don't know what you're supposed to do!

Atlantic Wind Power Corporation Inc.
Charles Demond (president) cdemond@awpc.com
Clair Peers c.peers@ns.sympatico.ca

As much as I'd like to now get prepared for tomorrow's meeting with the County, I now have to put on my secretary hat and go to a meeting in Wallace.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of questions about this statemnt you made;

Have you considered if the noises were a malfunction or a everyday thing?

The sadows you were saying, what time of day was it, also have you considered the time of year? What I'm getting to is the linement of the sun during the time of year and day.

Do you know if there was a problem with the first one? Maybe it was routine mantince? Did you ask anyone?

Now with the noises, where were you standing, what was the direction of the wind from where you were standing when you heard it from 1 km away?

What I'm getting at is if your going to make statements then get the full facts, don't leave out information and have us guessing, I would like to know more.

Anonymous said...

I still say; stick them in the ocean and be done with it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with freepower's statemnt, what are the other facts

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again - you have some valid comments - but you need to tone-down a bit and back up your claims with real data (you have made some 'misleading' and some incorrect claims this week). Otherwise people will classify you with the tree-huggers and disregard all your comments, including the good ones.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with anyone, I agree with myself to put all windpower in the ocean. The worse they will do in the ocean is keep people from swimming out so far and maybe even stop a drowning before it happens.

Anonymous said...

power smart said...
I agree with freepower's statemnt, what are the other facts (not my post, it was close to my style but I would have put a period after my sentence.)

Anonymous said...

I seen the news on CBC, but it still doesn't say much on the issues of what you describe. I can see the issue about being too close to homes but from what I read on this site and the story on CBC, it doesn't say very much but that you seem to be the only concerned person about these issues that you don't give the full facts about.